• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Beware of online job websites!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
It's embarrassing, but I'll share anyway!
I've been filing out every job website out there searching for a job and while doing so today, I applied to a job that is local BUT when I clicked onto it, it sent me to another site, so I filled it all out and uploaded my resume, too, when I hit "complete" it sent me to a screen with a phone number and it also stated that I needed to call it so that I could "complete" my application. So, of course, I did! (I'm new to all of this online job stuff) It wasn't until the guy started asking me a lot of questions about wanting to continue my education that I got suspicious. When I got off the phone I googled the company, and sure enough, they're a scam. Hopefully, the only thing that could come of it, is pestering solicitors. But oh my goodness how are we supposed to know who's legit and who's not! I feel so stupid!
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about applying for jobs these days when it seems every facility has an iron gate and walking right into establishments is a no-no!!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
lol! I forgot to say the name of the website to beware of! It's "gigats" Stay away!
Do any of you know if a person ever actually gets hired through online sites, such as Indeed.com?

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of them before. After reading your post though I Googled them. And like you said, I hope nothing worse than solicitations happens.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Apparently some facilities will look for resumes at Monster.com and Indeed. com, etc.. so it may sometimes work out. That is what I was told at a chapter meeting that discussed searching for a job. According to the same speaker, it is also a good idea to submit unsolicited resumes at local facilities w/o there being an advertised job, just to get on file. I'm sure this has been known to happen, so it may be worth the chance, especially for local jobs where you want to work.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
There is a website called Flake List and they list companies and people who are scammers. The scammers are often found on Craigslist and people who got scammed and was suspicious about the company and looked them up on Google writes about their experience and warn other people about the scammer. I have seen some from CareerBuilder and other job websites. I have got an interview through Indeed.com, but nothing came out of it as they went with the person with the most experience:( .

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
A word to the wise: Always check out the company before you apply online to see if they are legitimate.

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Ruth: thank you for the information! I plan to start working on doing just that. Any advice on what to do after I've done that? Generally speaking, how well received is a person just walking in to drop off a resume at medical facilities? I'm so afraid to take that first step into a facility. These days, it seems, people just look at you like you're a weirdo or they'll tell you they don't accept resumes in person and that you have to apply online-the iron gate!
I am going to the next AAPC chapter meeting here in February, where I realize that will be my best opportunity to network since I don't know anyone here, but it's not until the 19th. I was hoping to have a job by then!

TheresaR

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Thank you, Carolyn, for your info. I will look into that. I sure wish it occurred to me to check out gigats before I made that call! Live and learn!!!